Sunday, January 6, 2008

Translating Services...

Some translations from/conversations with my 2 year old...

BB: Mama, change diaper me?
Me: How about, "Mama, change my diaper."
BB: (looking at me like I'm crazy) No Mama, change MINE diaper.

To BB, mine and my are the same exact word. My favorite phrases are the ones that makes him sound German...

Mine boots! (emphasis on boots)

UncleJ: (pretending he's "cool") What's up, my dog?
BB: No, MINE dog!

"Thank you" was one of his first phrases, and he uses it well, but I don't think he understood the concept of "No, thank you" until recently. In fact, every negative response sounded like he was being tortured.

Before
Me: Do you want some green beans?
BB: NoooOOOooooOOO!!

Now
Me: Do you want some green beans?
BB: No thank you. *smile*

While he's still not eating green beans, at least he's being polite about it.

Also, for whatever reason, in the phrase "Don't want it," whatever he doesn't want comes after "Don't want it." So instead of "I don't want this movie," he says "Don't want it, movie" or even "Don't want it, this movie," or the oh-so-descriptive, "Don't want it, this one."

Oh yeah, and he leaves the opening consonents off most words that don't start with D, M, or B. (though even M is iffy - Mama has the M, movie is "oovie," but "moo" is "moo")

So there you go, if you need to have a conversation with BB, you're clued in.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ha ha, your child is really funny. "Mine dog" is classic B!