Wednesday, January 23, 2008

My worst nightmare...

I needed to buy jeans. I am making progress on the weight thing, but I can't wear sweat pants to work until I can fit into my jeans, so...

I went to Target over the weekend, and they had jeans on sale for $15, so I figured it wasn't too much to spend on "temporary" jeans. However, they had every size EXCEPT the size I needed. Argh. Ok, no problem, I'll just go to a different Target and buy them. Of course, I couldn't go the same day because I had to go home and take care of the boys. So today, I had a little time, and I went to a different Target. They no longer had any jeans on sale, AND they didn't even have the same style of jeans as the other Target. So I tried on 2 of the styles they had (for $23), and neither of them fit right. I wasn't about to try on the $30 jeans because I would probably like them, and I didn't want to spend $30 on jeans. I wanted to run some other errands while I was out, but I had spent too long at Target looking for the jeans, so I headed home, jeanless.

At this point, I start to wonder if the universe is against me. Am I "meant" to go jeanless to inspire me to lose weight so I can fit into my other jeans? Or am I just unlucky with jean buying? I could get on the jeans at the first Target (on sale), but they didn't actually "fit," if you know what I mean, and I didn't buy them because I can "get on" the jeans I already have, but they don't "fit" in any going-out-in-public-in-them sort of way...

On the way at home, I passed Goodwill, so I decided I'd run in and see if they had any jeans that I liked. I had very little time, but I tried on 9 pairs of jeans in less than 15 minutes. I found 2 pairs that were worthy of coming home with me for $6.99 each. (And I have to say, they are much nicer jeans than I would usually buy - as far as being nice brands that are more expensive than I would even buy new.)

So maybe the universe isn't against me. Or at least not in the arena of jeans...

On a different note...I'm thinking about joining a gym. I have always said I wouldn't join a gym because if I'm not going to workout at home, I wouldn't workout at a gym. Plus, we have a fitness center at work, and I don't use it, so...it seems like a waste of money to pay money to work out somewhere else. But here's the kicker - I have 2 kids now. It's not so easy to workout with a 2 1/2 yr old and a 3 month old. So the idea of a gym with childcare sounds good to me, and I have a friend that already goes a few times a week right after I pick up my kids from daycare. I recently realized that in the past my alternative to spending time working out was spending time relaxing - shopping, reading, watching TV, etc. Now my alternative to working out is working IN...taking care of 2 kids, doing laundry, cooking, dishes, cleaning house, etc. I think at this point in my life, it might be LESS work to work out!

1 comment:

Mama Tango said...

Jeans. Yes, I think I have a pair. Somewhere. At least my work pants are "dress casual" enough that I can wear them out to play and not feel like a total moron.

As for the gym, I tried that once too...the one near me now at least has no contract, but it's just not in the cards right now.

Oh yeah, and by the way, I'll be having another baby sometime in September :)