Monday, February 18, 2008

Chili Cookoff!

So we had a chili cookoff at work today, and we had 7 kinds of chili, hot dogs, fritos, cheese, cookies, etc. And it's literally 8 feet from my chair. Not surprisingly, I've had something like 12 servings of chili before 1 pm...we do have 6 oz cups, so at least I have to get up to get more chili, so I get a miniscule amount of exercise while eating so much food. I'm also drinking water today, which I usually don't...since I've been having so much chili.

I made chili for the cookoff, not really to win anyting, but just so there would be enough chili for everyone who wanted to eat some. I had a recipe...then...I just kept putting more stuff in it because it didn't look like enough chili in my big crock pot. It turned out well enough, I guess. BB "helped," which means it took longer and was messier than it needed to be, but whatever works.

I bought Fritos to bring to the chili cookoff. BB saw them on the counter and wanted to eat them. Rather than asking me, he climbed up on his step stool and tried to open them, to no avail, of course. So he opened the drawar and got out the kitchen scissors, but the corner off, and started eating them (still holding the scissors). I turned and saw him and freaked out a little because he was holding scissors, but apparently he did fine with them. (I did take them away and put them where he couldn't reach them...even with his step stool.) I'm not sure if I'm impressed that he did all that on his own (he's only 2 1/2!) or scared that he had the scissors long enough to do that without me noticing. I'm glad I'm not writing the "I'm a terrible mother because my kid cut off his fingers with kitchen scissors" post... I'm really just lucky that it worked out the way it did, but I'll take luck over severed toddler fingers any day...

No comments: