Sunday, August 31, 2008

Attack of the Nap-less 3 year old

I thought we were having a great Saturday. I got to sleep in while Grandma and Cindy took the boys...oh, I don't know, wherever they went while I was sleeping!!

Then we decided to go swimming at Aunt Annie's. So we made some yummy banana pancakes (and at them of course) and got stuff together to go swimming (which, with the 2 little ones, was about an hour adventure.) We got in the van and took off for Aunt Annie's. It was GREAT! We sat out by the pool and ate snacks - Guacamole & chips, crackers and smoked cheese, mango, strawberries, veggies and dip, etc. Somehow we managed not to sink to the bottom of the pool after all this food, and we had a nice time swimming.

Aunt Annie needed to get some stuff taken care of with her phone, and as she is not as cell phone savvy as I am (not that I'm a pro, but let's face it, I'm not 60-something), I was going to go with her to the store to get it all worked out.

HOWEVER, Ben had not had a nap, and it was almost 5 pm. This was NOT good news for trying to leave him with Grandma and Cindy, even for a little bit. He got in the van with him and was NOT happy when I went with Aunt Annie, but he fell asleep pretty quickly once in the van. They drove around and he napped, but they came to meet us at the store, and the parking lot driving around wasn't enough to keep him asleep, so he woke up, and was VERY unhappy and wanted his Mama. Even once I picked him up though, he wouldn't stop crying and whining and saying he wanted Mama...even though I was holding him. He was physically awake, but he was such an emotional mess...luckily, he fell asleep again once we were back in the car and the car was moving, but it was not a good time when he was awake and so very unhappy.

I forget the havoc that 3 year olds can wreak since he is usually so very well behaved.

No comments: