Sunday, December 30, 2007

St. Jim? St. Mike? St. Tina?

Ok, so this is weird, but it's how my mind works.

My husband recently had surgery at St. Joseph's Hospital, and I've noticed lots of folks call it St. Joe's, which sounds fine and makes perfect sense until I think about other saints. I mean, if someone referred to St. James and St. Jim, we'd be like...really? You think so? I don't really know any saints well enough to call them by a nickname...except apparently St. Joseph.

I was trying to think through this and see if there's some sort of pattern, but I can't really think of other saints that it "sounds right" if we call them by a nickname. I don't come across a lot of saint's names other than those attached to hospitals and churches I know of (or drive by regularly), and I was trying to think of other hospitals and see if that's the pattern, but I know a St. Anthony's hospital, and I've never heard anyone refer to it as St. Tony's, so I don't think it's a "hospital thing."

I actually went to the Saints index at "Catholic Online" (http://www.catholic.org/saints/stindex.php in case you're interested...) to look through saints names and see if I could find others that sound right as nicknames. I admit that I didn't spend too long there, but I didn't find any others that worked. St. Wally? I don't think so.

Of course, I don't know nicknames for some of the less common or less modern names...Warinus? Palaemon? Lantfrid? I'm pretty sure if I had one of those names, I'd go by something else.

Yes, really, this is where my mind goes...

Oh yeah, and right in front of the St. Joseph's Hospital is a Joe's Crab Shack, with the big Eat at Joe's sign...so when I think of the hospital as St. Joe's, it strikes me as a funny combo...

St. Joe's Crab Shack and Hospital...

No comments: